Friday, November 24, 2006

Rasheed

I have been thinking about Rasheed a lot lately and I have finally decided to tell you about him.

Rasheed lives outside of Kumasi, Ghana. He attends the Amazing Grace Preparatory school that I worked with in July. He was in class 6 while I was there, so he should be in class 7 now.

I never talked to him very much. I spent most of my time in class 4. But when I did talk to him, I was overwhelmed and confused by the despair and hope that I saw in him.

The last week I was there he asked me if I could pay for his schooling. I had already committed to pay for two other girls and I had no income at the time, so I didn't have enough money and I told him that I couldn't help. I HATED telling him I couldn't help, especially when I saw the hope begin to dissipate and the despair begin to consume. Wishing for his hope to return, I told him I would pray for him and look for a sponsor when I went back home. Sure enough, his hope returned and he smiled at me, but then a new anxiety washed over him and he said: "Don't forget me."

Every day in that last week he would come to me and ask me his name. Every day I would say, "yes, Rasheed, I remember you." And on the last day I was there he wrote down his name and handed it to me.

Then he said it again: "Don't forget me."

Rasheed is probably getting ready to go to school right now. (Yes, they have school on Saturdays.) He is probably wearing the same yellow-shirt and brown-shorts uniform that he wears everyday. He will do the school thing in the morning, devour his lunch that the school provides for the students every day, and then play soccer in the scorching heat.

I miss him. I remember him. But when it comes down to it, remembering him is not what he needs. He needs help. He needs money to pay for an education and food on the table. I feel ashamed that I haven't found him a sponsor. I haven't tried hard enough. When he heard me say that I would look for a sponsor, he pictured me flying to wealthy America where no one is in need, everyone has more than enough, and someone would definitely be able to help him. How could I not find someone?

But somehow, in the wealthiest country in the world, I have found no one.

It costs 30 dollars every month to sponsor a child at the Amazing Grace Preparatory school through their partners, Adom Partnership International.

For the month of November, I have probably spent nearly 30 dollars on coffee and lunch. Why so much? First, I love coffee. Second, I make my lunch in the morning before work, but too frequently I have run out of time in the morning and decided to buy my lunch at a nearby deli.

What a waste of 30 dollars.

Well... you have just witnessed something:
I have just convinced myself to sponsor Rasheed.
Haha.

It might mean making my lunch the night before work, but I think I can handle it. Quite an application to my blog: I remembered Rasheed, and now I am going to adjust my life accordingly. hahaha. I never thought this stupid blog would work that well on me.

And since I can't resist:
If you are interested in sponsoring a child at the Amazing Grace Preparatory school, please let me know! There is a link to the right for Adom Partnership International, the supporter of the school. The link explains a lot about the Parntership and the school, so I suggest you check it out.

No comments: