Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

Dear Mom,

I admire you, I love you, and I am proud to be your daughter.

I am a little hesitant to write you this letter because I'm afraid I won't be able to adequately express how much I love you and how amazing you are, but I'm going to give it a shot.

I admire you. You have had an extremely hard life. You have endured experiences that I hope to never encounter. I think about the parts of your life that you have allowed me to see and hear, and then I look at you with amazement. You have weathered the storm well, coming through it not beaten and weak, but strong and beautiful. You continue to live with a joy that is child-like, like a child who has not felt the pain of loss, dissapointment, and suffering, and who lives with a pure hope and excitement for the future.

I love you. The older I get, the more I see you in me, and the more I understand you. The more I understand you, the more I love you. I love your smile, I love that you love to talk about absolutely everything, I love it when you get excited about the little things, I love how you are easily moved by the pain and joy of others. I love that you are goofy. I love your stubborness and that your own stubborness pushes you to be willing and flexible. It pushes you to do things like move to a state where nothing is familiar because you are determined to love your husband well. I love your love for life, for others, and for Jesus.

I am happy and proud to be your daughter. You have taught me how to be teachable. I don't even know if you see it, but even while you are extremely stubborn, you are extremely teachable. Maybe its because you are determined to grow. I have seen you learn and grow incredibly in the last 10 years, and your growth has been a great example for me.

You have taught me how to smile. I remember when I was a kid, I would hear people talk about you and your beautiful smile. And now whenever someone comments on my frequent smile, I think of you and I smile some more.

You have taught me how to be transparent. You wear your heart on your sleeve, and allow people into the depths of your world. You invite them in and you ask them to stay around for a while. That is an amazing gift. I am so happy to be a part of your world, and I hope to be as transparent as you and to welcome people into my world as you have welcomed me into yours.

Gee, a tear just ran down my cheek.

Like I said before, the older I get the more of you I see in me. And I am happy for it. Don't worry, I'm not ignorant... I'm all grown up and I know you have flaws. I see your flaws in me too. But if inheriting your flaws means that I get to inherit your beauty, your gifts, and your blessings, then I am glad to have the whole package. I am glad to be a part of your life, and I feel blessed to be like you.

Thanks for being amazing. I love you mom.

Happy Mother's Day :)

No comments: