Monday, March 26, 2007

Practical Justice

I've been reading some good books lately, and I recently thought to myself,

"Self, these books have been good. You have learned quite a bit from them. You have a lot of friends that would like them too. You should tell them about it."

So here it is. The beginning of my books-that-you-should-read list.

The first book on my list:

Practical Justice, by Kevin Blue.

Why should you read this book?

First of all,
Kevin Blue wrote it. He is the head honcho for the internship that I am doing with Servant Partners. He is an amazing man, and an important leader and mentor in my life. Want to know more about what I am doing? Read a book written by my mentor.

Secondly.
This book is very practical. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the injustices occuring everywhere, all the time, next door, across the street, across town, in the city, in the country, in the world, etc. I want justice to be brought to the entire world. I want poverty to end. I want people to work with each other instead of against each other. And in my state of feeling too small in the midst of an extremely large problem, I find myself not knowing where to begin and thinking about giving up. Kevin Blue lays out some very practical ways to face injustice and kick it in the shin. He writes:

"There are plenty of issues, plenty of opportunities to work for justice, plenty of work to go around. We can't all do everything. The concerns are many, but we need not be overwhelmed by them. Rather, we should simply recongize that everyone cannot do everything but we should all be involved in addressing injustice."

three:
Kevin gives a very clear explanation of the call to Christians to live and fight for justice.

Jesus followers: It is a good word to read. I've heard, read, discussed, been convicted by, and changed my life because of the call to live justly. I've been there and done that. But this book brought me there again. Whether you don't understand how justice, Jesus, and your faith-life correlate, or you don't understand how people couldn't understand, this book is good for your soul.

Not a Christian?: This book is a good look into the part of Christianity that I know and love, and the part that I mournfully acknowledge is not well known or loved. You might find it interesting and completely different from the Christian religion you have seen. And of course, the call for justice is a call that does not discriminate, it is a call for everyone.

4th

There are some great words of wisdom throughout this book. One that stands out to me in particular is this:

"The most persistent temptation for those who seek to live a Christian life is simply to quit, because a real life of faith is difficult. It is painful. It is uncomfortable. There is real joy, peace and provision in following jesus - these and many other blessings are part of the journey. But the real Christian life encompasses sorrow. It is a life of losing life, of giving it away in sacrificial service like the Master. And in so doing, we find the life of God strengthening us, giving us the peace, joy, provision and purpose we long for."

V
i like this book. not too long. well written. worth my time. and worth yours too.



Thanks, Kevin Blue, for the sacrifices you have made. I can personally testify that your devotion to Jesus has been a blessing, encouragement, and help to my life and the lives of many, many others.

No comments: