Tuesday, March 13, 2007

what's wrong with this picture?

Nigeria's vice-president slightly injures himself and has to travel to the UK to get medical treatment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/africa/6442855.stm

Good thing he has enough money to get there.

I'm not judging Atiku, I don't have much of an opinion for or against him, I don't know enough about him, but I do have an opinion about this little medical trip.

I wonder where all the normal Nigerian folk get medical treatment, and why Atiku couldn't go there. There could be a lot of reasons, but I don't think I would like any of them.

Want to know more about Atiku? He is running for president. He is part of the People's Democratic Party (PDP), which has a very admirable mission statement:

“Faced with the tragic consequences of underdevelopment, our mission is to qualitatively transform the Nigerian economy and society. Therefore, we shall tirelessly work for:
-The creation of a dynamic economy designed to serve the people’s interest and in which market forces are combined with the forces of partnership, solidarity and co-operation to create and produce goods and services for all.
-Establishment of a free democratic society in which powers and actions of government are lawful and where those in authority are held responsible and accountable to the people.”
http://www.atikuabubakar.net/index.php?page=static/pdmpdp.html&topimage=images/politics.gif&menuid=6,0

Really, I don't know much about the PDP, or Nigeria for that matter, but I thought this was interesting. If you know any more about Atiku, the party, the impact of this party, the country, or anything else related, let me know by posting a comment, because I'd love to learn more about this country.

Don't be shy. We are all friends here. I know there are a lot of you out there that read this blog. And I know that a lot of you know a lot of stuff.

That's all. Goodnight.

No comments: